All Edmonton Public Schools Support Staff work in a unionized environment; the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3550. The mandate of our union is to uphold and defend our Collective Agreement, represent and support our members and to promote economic and social justice for members and for all workers. In carrying out our work, we strive to promote our core values which include the principles of solidarity, equality, democracy, integrity, and respect. We are committed to mobilizing our energy and skills to work together to promote these values and to attain these goals in our union, our communities, and globally.
Nationally, CUPE is committed to creating a union which is inclusive, welcoming, and free from harassment, discrimination and all types of bullying and intimidation. We strive to ensure we provide a safe environment for members, staff and elected officers to carry out our work. CUPE’s expectation is that mutual respect, understanding and co-operation will be the basis of all our interaction.
As CUPE members, staff, and elected officers, we commit to one another and to the union to be governed by the principles of the Code of Conduct and agree to:
- Abide by the provisions of the Equality Statement.
- Respect the views of others, even when we disagree.
- Recognize and value individual differences.
- Communicate openly.
- Support and encourage each other.
- Make sure that we do not harass or discriminate against each other.
- Commit to not engaging in offensive comment or conduct.
- Make sure that we do not act in ways that are aggressive, bullying, or intimidating.
- Take responsibility for not engaging in inappropriate behaviour due to abuse of alcohol or other drugs while participating in union activities, including social events.