The purpose of Union Education and Development activities is to educate members to become Union Activists in a way that is mutually beneficial to the individual member and to all Local 3550 members. The Locals’ Education Committee will review all applications submitted in order to determine the total number of members sponsored and establish the funding for each event.
When educational opportunities become available they will be posted here and we ask that each member wishing to attend please fill out the Education Funding Request Form with all of the required information, and either FAX to the CUPE 3550 office at (780) 452-1462, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail the form to the CUPE 3550 office.
BUILDING BETTER TEAM COMMUNICATION
The unique backgrounds and experiences of today’s diverse work teams help tap into fresh ideas and solutions. All these unique perspectives are perfect for effective problem solving.
How can you ensure each team member has the same understanding of goals and direction? And that they feel comfortable speaking up, disagreeing, sharing information and contributing? By taking a closer look at how you communicate!
Join us for a one and half hour (1½) session of professional learning
Building Better Team Communication
When: Thursday, May 16 at 4:30 p.m.
Where: CUPE Local 3550 Office, 14207 – 115 Avenue NW.
PD learning materials will be provided.
Interested, please email Mabel: email@example.com by noon on
Friday, May 10, 2019.
Take a Glimpse at What You’ll Learn:
- Recognize the 4 different ways people communicate
- Listening—your most powerful and underused communication tool
- Find out where communication typically breaks down between people
- What to do when you’re challenged or put down in front of others
- Critical how-to’s for giving instructions and directions—for fewer misunderstandings
- Words and phrases you must avoid—and what to say instead
- Body language: Learn how your actions can overpower what you’re actually saying
CANCELLED Join us for a one hour personal development webinar, Business Ethics & Integrity, on Thursday, May 2 @ 4 p.m. at CUPE Local 3550 office, 14207 – 115 Avenue NW.
Handouts for the webinar will be provided.
Light refreshments will be served.
Please email Mabel at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 29 to register.
CUPE National Courses
- CUPE Alberta Regional Office – #300 10235 – 124 Street
Introduction to Stewarding
May 3 – 4, 2019 | CUPE Alberta Regional Office, Edmonton, Alberta | English
What does a CUPE steward do? If you are a new steward and want to learn how to help CUPE members solve workplace problems, this introductory workshop is for you!
In this workshop, you will learn:
• investigating workplace problems;
• filing a grievance;
• meeting with management;
• dealing with workplace complaints.
H&S – Law & Orders/Making Committees Work/Solidarity Beyond Borders
May 31 – June 1, 2019 | CUPE Alberta Regional Office, Edmonton, Alberta | English
This workshop covers three modules:
-Law & Orders
-Making Committees Work
-Solidarity Beyond Borders
- CUPE Weeklong School Red Deer: May 26-31, 2019 Registration Deadline April 17, 2019: Human Rights-An Introduction; Legal Legislation; Mental Health; SLS-/challenging racism in the workplace; SLS-Duty of fair representation; SLS-Representing members in front of management; SLS-solidarity with Indigenous workers; SLS-challenging sexism in the workplace; Grievance handling; SLS-Literacy awareness; SLS-Creating accommodation-friendly workplaces; SLS-Disability and ableism in the workplace; SLS-Ally skills for stewards; SLS-Green action for stewards; SLS-Understanding mental health; SLS-Popular economics for stewards; SLS-Psychologically safe workplaces
- Women Deliver 2019 Global Conference (June 3 – 6, 2019, Vancouver)
- Prairie School for Union Women June 9-13, 2019 Waskesiu Lake, Saskatchewan; Union Women on Turtle Island; Women Speaking Up; Igniting the Spark: Women as Leaders; First Steps: Union Basics for Women; Building Confidence and Celebrating You!; Popular Education Level 1: Introduction to Facilitating; Power, Privilege & People; Labour Community Advocate Training Level 1;
- Interested? Fill out the education form and send it to email@example.com